The Darkness PS game Review

.

Let's get through the obvious. The Darkness is a superb looking game. It supports various HD all the way through 1080p. The art direction is, in word,
 amazing. The Subways look just like every subway I've ever been on. Every little bit of the environment has been paid attention to, so much so that I had to stop and just look at the wall paper once, "I wonder how
 that would look in my den?" The area I was most skeptical of became one of my favorite aspects, the tentacles. I could not imagine them looking anywhere near right in a first person shooter. The Darkness proves how limited my imagination really is, the tentacles were creepy and mesmerizing.
As good as it looks (don't listen to the fan-boys argue about frame rates, it looks grand), the real strength of the game is its amazing cinematic properties. In a film I'd say it had an amazing director of photography, in a videogame, it lies less in the hands of one person. Whoever the people were behind the opening sequence of The Darkness deserve an award. It was the best videogame opening I've seen since the Return of the King game.
Riddick was a game with great story and atmosphere, but The Darkness builds it to a whole new level. In fact, I'd argue that this is more of a hybrid game than a first person shooter. With the heavy emphasis on narrative, I'd call it an adventure FPS, and it is a welcome departure from the guns only philosophy of the FPS genre.
The Darkness not only makes you feel like a part of the tale, but it helps you care about it as well with limited free roaming and unlockables which motivate you to stick with the story to the end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment